President & CEO
Michael Kern, President & CEO of Direct Legal Support, Inc. is a thirty year veteran of the profession as well a second generation process server. Michael has been involved in every aspect of litigation support ever since 1987 and directly attributes his success to his late father David Kern, who started Dave Kern Attorney Service in 1961; whenever Michael was on school breaks he would help the family business by doing things like setting up court filings, filing documents at the courthouse, calling runners for status, riding along with route drivers and doing pick-ups, and riding along with his dad to learn how to serve papers correctly for when he was old enough. Michael was persuaded to follow in his father’s footsteps and attributes his “get it done” attitude to his dad who instilled in him that hard work gets you everything in life.
Michael graduated Hart High School in Santa Clarita, CA in 1987 and was officially brought into the family business where he fully embraced their philosophy of not being the biggest, but being the best attorney service in California. He became a registered process server that same year and served papers while attending College of the Canyons, where he majored in Business Marketing; all the while working in the family business as well. He has had his hand in every aspect of litigation support ever since, and directly attributes his success to his dedication to and passion for this profession. Michael was elected to the Board of Directors of the National Association Process Servers in May of 2015 and also serve as its Technology Chairman for the (2015-2016) and was elected NAPPS President in 2017.
Michael is very proud to be a second generation legal support professional; and is very excited that his son David will be his legacy, by joining the company in the fall of 2012.
Michael has been a member of the California Association of Legal Support Professional (CALSPro) since 1994 and has served the association in many different capacities such as:
- — Southern Area Governor (1996-1998)
- — First VP & Board of Directors (1998-2000)
- — Board of Directors & Directory Chairman (2001 – 2002)
- — Board of Directors & Vendor Chairman (2002 – 2005)
- — Second Vice President (2005-2007)
- — Chairman of the Board & Membership Chairman (2006-2008)
- — Advertising Chairman (2007-2008)
- — Board of Directors & Advertising Chairman (2008-2011)
- — Secretary/Treasurer (2011-2012)
- — President & Board of Directors (2012-2014)
- — Board of Directors (2014-2016)
The California Association of Legal Support Professionals (CALSPro) is a member-driven organization focusing on the continued enforcement of the due process clause of the U.S. Constitution. CALSPro believes that every party to an action must be properly notified of such actions. In order to accomplish this goal, CALSPro has defeated many service by mail Legislative bills through the efforts of our legislative advocate. Further, CALSPro has a Legislative Committee dedicated to reading all proposed bills and making corrective suggestions.
Michael has also been recognized over the years, having received the following awards:
- — Rookie of the Year (1997-1998)
- — Presidential Recognition Award (Going the extra mile) (2002-2003)
- — Member of the Year (2003-2004)
- — Member of the Year (2010-2011)
- — CALSPro President (2012-2014)
- — Bert Rosenthal Award Nominee (2014-2015)
- — NAPPS Board of Directors (2015-2017)
- — Bert Rosenthal Award Recipient (2016)
- — NAPPS President (2017-2018)
In the words of CALSPro Past President Chad Barger (2010-2012), “Many of the ambitious items the Board of Directors and I set out to accomplish this year would not have happened without the hard work and dedication of Michael Kern. Through the late nights and countless hours, Michael has earned this honor and I congratulate him on his success!”