CA Witness Fee Mileage Calculator
In California state court, a witness subpoenaed to testify at a deposition is entitled to witness fee of $35.00 plus mileage of 20 cents per mile, round trip from the witness's residence to the place of the hearing. The witness fee must be paid upon service of the subpoena if the witness requests it, or at the deposition.
In Federal court Witness Fees cases, the fee for personal appearance is $40.00 per day, plus 54 cents per mile, round trip from the witness's residence to the place of the hearing. The fee must be paid at the time of service.
The California State witness remains unchanged, but the Federal mileage rate has been reduced from 57.5 cents to 54 cents per mile payable each way.
Use this helpful online calculator tool provides a quick and easy was to calculate the mileage witness fees for distance by simply entering the mileage between two cities in the One-Way Mileage section. The calculator figures out the correct amount for witness fees to be paid to witnesses in California and Federal courts.
CA Subpoenas and Subpoenas Duces Tecum - Witness Fees.
- Any subpoena or subpoena duces tecum issued pursuant to subsection (a) of this section extends to all parts of the state and shall be served in accordance with the provisions of sections 1985.3, 1987, 1987.5 and 1988 of the Code of Civil Procedure, except for the provisions governing the time for issuance of subpoenas and subpoenas duces tecum. Service of a subpoena or subpoena duces tecum is made by delivering a copy to the witness.
- (c) All witnesses appearing pursuant to subpoena, other than the parties, or their representatives directly associated with the action, shall be entitled to receive the following fees and mileage, payable in advance:
(1) Witness fee for each day's actual attendance of thirty-five dollars ($35.00);
(2) Mileage actually traveled, both ways, of twenty cents ($.20) a mile;
(3) Per diem compensation of three dollars ($3.00) for expenses of subsistence for each day of actual attendance and for each day necessarily occupied in traveling to and from the hearing, if the hearing is at a point so far removed from a residence as to reasonably preclude return thereto from day to day.